- About Standard Development
- Current Standard Development Activities
- Public Commentary Guidelines
- Operating Procedures for Standard Development
Behavioral Health Center of Excellence (BHCOE) works to strengthen the nation’s use of Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) by facilitating the development of technically sound ABA standards and by promoting the adoption of those standards by the ABA community.
These standards are written documents that define minimum requirements, best practices, standard protocols, and other guidance to help ensure that the outcomes of ABA services are reliable and effective.
BHCOE is accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), and BHCOE’s standard-setting subject matter experts serve on the BHCOE Commission. The BHCOE Commission members represent a variety of stakeholders including government agencies, faculty, clinicians, patient-advocates, payers, employers and administrators.
These BHCOE Commission members have expertise in a variety of specific behavior analytic disciplines, as well as general expertise in applied behavior analysis research, healthcare, measurement science, statistics, law, and policy.
BHCOE commission members work together to develop and evaluate ABA standards via a transparent, consensus-based process that allows for participation and comment by all stakeholders.
BHCOE’s Policies and Procedures state that “Notification of standards development activity shall be announced in suitable media as appropriate to demonstrate an opportunity for participation by all directly and materially affected persons.”
To learn more about the value of the American National Standard designation, click here.
BHCOE Standard 101: Standard for the Documentation of Clinical Records for Applied Behavior Analysis Services
BHCOE Standard 101 describes appropriate documentation for Applied Behavior Analysis Service delivery and how to provide accurate and supportive medical record documentation. LEARN MORE
The BHCOE’s Standards & Guidelines for Effective Applied Behavior Analysis Organizations (the “BHCOE Standards”) includes 7 sections relevant to the professional and ethical behavior of organizations providing Applied Behavior Analysis therapy, along with suggested evidence of compliance. LEARN MORE
Comments should be set forth using BHCOE Public Commentary Forms as follows:
- Page Number, Line Number, in the document;
- Rationale for comment/objection; and
- Suggested alternative text to resolve comment/objection.
- The above format is not required for comments concerning typographical errors; simply identify the nature and location of the error (e.g., by page, and line number).
- Failure to comply fully with these instructions may cause comments to be considered non-persuasive.
- If comments are not provided using the public commentary form, they will not be considered by the BHCOE ANSI Commission.
- All comments must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also CC: email@example.com.